June 17, 2009
I’ve been invited to speak at an event at Cambridge University. The event, I Hear America singing: an American Poetic Revue, is part of America Week at Clare Hall and features myself and the poet Tamar Yoseloff talking about and reading works from some of our favourite contemporary American poets. There will also be free American Wine!(But will there be hot dogs?)
The Event is Friday June 19th and starts at 8pm.
For those interested but unable to make it here is the list of poets & poems ‘ll be talking about. Most of these poems / poets can be found at the Scottish Poetry Library. Do come see me at my office hours on July 7th from 4 – 6pm if you want to find out more about the following poets / poems.
Here they are in no particular order:
* Marita Garin, Huskies
* Charles Bukowski, Trouble
* Etheridge Knight, Feeling Fucked Up (from his selected works)
* Robert Pinsky, The Want Bone
* CK Williams, Insight (from The Forward Book of Poetry 1998)
* Mark Doty, Where You Are (from Sweet Machine)
* Tom Sleigh, Newsreel (from Far Side of the Earth)
* Michael Burkard, Tooth (from Unsleeping)
* Wendell Berry, The Inlet (from Given)
* Cornelius Eady, I Know (I’m Losing You)(from You Don’t Miss Your Water)
* Hayden Carruth, The Quality of Wine (from Scrambled Eggs & Whiskey)